What’s it like to be a Administration Apprentice at Metro?
Every day is different, Metro is a fast-paced business. Visitors need to be greeted, calls need to be answered, events and meetings need to be organised and supported.
The role is demanding, and it will take your people skills to a new level as you overcome challenges and last-minute changes, to support the business. They may often come all at once, just like in 2020, and they will challenge your communication, problem-solving and time management skills to the max. You will never be bored, that’s for sure.
We want you to be committed to a progressive business in an industry that never sleeps and never stops 24/7-365. We will invest in your development and ensure you have all the support required to get you through your apprenticeship and into full-time work here at Metro.
Your role is to ensure that our directors, managers, and staff are given all the administration support they need to deliver services to our customers. Before you know it, you will be working closely with our partners and suppliers to meet our customer needs. It will seem daunting at the start, but we will support and guide you every step of the way. So, if you are good at problem-solving, can manage your time, and like to communicate with people all over the world, you’ll be an excellent fit for an apprenticeship at Metro.
The course follows a personalised learning plan tailored to your role at Metro. You will be supported by a development coach who will guide you through a range of activities that compliment your daily tasks.
As an apprentice you will work closely with your administration team colleagues supporting the business. At times you will be the face and voice of Metro are you meet, greet, and interact with customers and suppliers, so your role is vital in creating a great first impression, which is key to business success.
Here’s what our apprentices have to say.
How to join Metro as an Administration Apprentice
- Click on Apply Now.
- Complete the sections in the application form. Click submit.
- We’ll send you an email with a couple of links to some tests that all our apprentices have completed to give us an idea of how you will fit with the job and working for Metro. There will also be a questionnaire.
- Return your completed questionnaire and attach your CV to the email.
- If your tests are good, we’ll arrange an interview over Microsoft Teams.
- If it looks like you are who we are looking for we’ll get you to come in, have a look around and have a face-to-face interview.
- Shine, and we’ll make you an offer.
- The job starts with a 3-day induction to introduce you to the company, the world of logistics and the global supply chain.
- Then, you’ll join an operational department supporting live customers, be trained, and supported in all the aspects of meeting the customers’ needs and moving their freight.
- Once you have settled in, we’ll get you on your apprenticeship course.
- Job done; career started.
- Produce, update, send daily internal reports (attendance report, late report)
- Update Horizon daily with holidays/sickness/appointments/TOIL
- Updating Internal records (Horizon)
- Answer incoming calls & deal with queries
- PA duties for Directors – Ad hoc orders & tasks/refreshments/lunches
- Book travel, accommodation, hospitality, and special events
- Organise/set up meeting rooms, book lunches/restaurants
- Organise and liaise with contractors as and when required (plumbers/electricians/gardeners)
- Source and purchase marketing merchandise – Stock take merchandise and monitor distribution
- Record all purchases on P/O excel sheet and create files for invoices
- Set up new starters, create security passes and prepare company material
- Remove leavers and amend shift changes on Horizon
- Organise/set up/mark tests for candidate interviews
- General office assistance (filing, shredding, scanning, order stationary, kitchen & cleaning supplies)
- Incoming and outgoing post and key freight documentation; dealing with Royal Mail, DHL UPS, FedEx, City Sprint, and couriers
- Booking and liaising facilities and maintenance contractors who will be working onsite, ensuring they are logged in and out
- Cover Receptionist position daily as required
What we’re looking for
- Good verbal and written communication, to provide a professional image.
- The ability to interact with a diverse range of stakeholders including operational customers and suppliers, directors, managers, and staff.
- The skill to prioritise a large number of tasks to ensure accuracy and deliver results with great attention to detail and a high sense of urgency.
- A positive attitude and good problem-solving skills and to apply lessons learned.
- The ability to work on own and as part of a team.
- Ideally GCSE Grade 5 in both Mathematics and English, but we will consider Grade 4’s for the right candidate.
What we offer
- The chance to learn about what it takes to be an administrative professional in a fast-paced environment.
- A level 3 apprenticeship Business Administration qualification with support from a college/training provider, who will also provide learner support.
- All fees for training will be paid for.
- Annual equivalent salary of £18,000. With a pay review after six months.
- Upon the successful completion of the apprenticeship, achievement of the qualification and by showing the right attitude the apprentice will be given the opportunity to apply for a position within Metro.