What’s it like to be a Freight Forwarding Apprentice at Metro?
Every day is different, the freight to be moved, the legislation to be complied with and the customs regulations to be observed. Then there’s the actual move, global origins and destinations for freight coming to or going out of Britain. The role is demanding, and it will take your people skills to a new level as you overcome challenges, last-minute changes, the impact of the weather and global events. They may often come at once, just like in 2020, and they will challenge your communication, problem-solving and time management skills to the max. You will never be bored, that’s for sure.
We want you to be mesmerised by an industry that never sleeps and never stops 24/7-365. We will invest in your development and ensure you have all the support required to get you through your apprenticeship and into full-time work here at Metro.
Your role is to ensure that your customer’s goods are delivered to their specifications. Before you know it you will be working closely with our supply chain partners to meet those customer specifications. It will seem daunting at the start, but we will support and guide you every step of the way. So if you are good at problem-solving, can manage your time, and like to communicate with people all over the world, you’ll be an excellent fit for an apprenticeship at Metro.
Here’s what our apprentices have to say.
How to join Metro as a Freight Forwarding Apprentice
- Click on Apply Now.
- Complete the sections in the application form. Click submit.
- We’ll send you an email with a couple of links to some tests that all our apprentices have completed to give us an idea of how you will fit with the job and working for Metro. There will also be a questionnaire.
- Return your completed questionnaire and attach your CV to the email.
- If your tests are good, we’ll arrange an interview over Microsoft Teams.
- If it looks like you are who we are looking for we’ll get you to come in, have a look around and have a face-to-face interview.
- Shine, and we’ll make you an offer.
- The job starts with a 2 week induction to introduce you to the company, the world of logistics and the global supply chain.
- Then, you’ll join an operational department supporting live customers, be trained, and supported in all the aspects of meeting the customers’ needs and moving their freight.
- Once you have settled in, we’ll get you on your apprenticeship course.
- Job done; career started.
- Using internal systems to create documentation that will enable the freight to be moved to customer specifications, on time with all the necessary customs and legal documentation, including:
- Creating and updating freight bookings.
- Raise customs documentation to ensure the freight can move from country to country.
- Collate all documents and distribute them to customers and carriers, as required.
- Preparing and processing of invoices.
- Deal with customer requests and queries by telephone and email quickly and efficiently by passing them on to the appropriate colleagues in the department.
- Contacting customers directly to advise them of planned shipment details.
- Communicate with departmental colleagues and other Metro staff, ensuring that the messages are clear precise and effective.
- Accurate & timely reporting to department manager.
- Take ownership of your training and development so you can continuously improve and develop the skills required by junior freight forwarder.
What we are looking for
- An interest in all areas of transportation and logistics, sea, road, rail and air.
- Good verbal and written communication, to provide a professional image to customers and suppliers.
- Someone who can remain calm under pressure in a busy working environment.
- The ability to prioritise tasks, ensure accuracy, and deliver results with great attention to detail with a high sense of urgency.
- A positive attitude and the determination to develop good problem solving skills.
- The drive to succeed and want to make a contribution to the business.
- Ideally GCSE Grade 5 in both Mathematics and English, but we will consider Grade 4’s for the right candidate.
- A positive attitude and good problem solving skills and to apply lessons learned.
What we offer
- The chance to learn about what it takes to be a freight forwarding professional and move freight around the world.
- A level 3 apprenticeship International Freight Forwarding Specialist qualification with support from a college/training provider, who will also provide learner support.
- All fees for training will be paid for.
- Upon the successful completion of the apprenticeship, achievement of the qualification and by showing the right attitude the apprentice will be given the opportunity to apply for a position within Metro.